13. “Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.
14. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away BY HIS OWN DESIRES AND ENTICED.”
- Temptation comes through desires
- You have to watch your thoughts, sieve what passes through your mind.
- If you give a thought to an idea or suggestion, you should not be surprised if you are tempted along that line.
- Holy Spirit, through Apostle Paul, has given us criteria, standards by which our thoughts may be judged or decided.
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”
- If any thought in your heart does not fit into the above criteria, then do not allow the thought in your mind.
- The Book of Proverbs admonishes us to guard our hearts with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life (Proverbs 4:23).
- If you are being tempted on a particular sin, you need to check your thoughts, desires, because temptations come through desires.
- When a thought comes to your mind that is contrary to God’s Word, and such a thought is not consistent with what you are currently thinking on – then you need to quickly discard it in your mind, such a thought comes from the devil.
- The devil, demons, suggest thoughts, inject thoughts to the mind of human beings.
- “And you he made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
- In which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to THE POWER OF THE AIR, THE SPIRIT WHO NOW WORKS IN THE SONS OF DISOBEDIENCE,
- Among whom also we all once conducted ourselves ON THE LUSTS OF OUR FLESH AND OF THE MIND, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.”
- We have the power to reject thoughts that are not in line with the Word of God.
- “for though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
- For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (of the flesh) but mighty in God for pulling down of strongholds,
- Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, BRINGING EVERY THOUGHTS INTO CAPTIVITY TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST.”
2 Corinthians 10:3-5(NKJV)
- Devil and demons control people, human beings generally, by injecting thoughts into their minds, giving them negative thoughts to disobey God – work against God’s counsel (Ephesians 2:1-3).
- The flesh lusts
- Flesh would want you to live contrary to God’s Words. Thus you need to present your body a living sacrifice to God (Romans 12:1).
- You mortify your flesh; you should not obey it – when it makes a demand (Ephesians 2:3, Colossians 3:5,6).
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.”
- Renewing of mind
- One major way in controlling your thoughts is through renewing of mind.
- Human being is a spirit, has a soul (mind), and lives in a body (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
- When you gave your life to Christ, you became a new creation, your spirit man is regenerated; but your soul (mind) and your flesh remain unchanged (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- You have a responsibility to work on your flesh and mind – you do that through the Word of God (Romans 12:2; James 1:21).
- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
- As you feed your mind regularly with the word of God, your mind, the seat of thought, will begin to change – your thinking will begin to change. – You begin to think, reason, like God – see things in God’s point of view.
“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls.”
- You can control and curb temptations that come on your way, as a Christian – by controlling your thoughts.
- Discipline your thought life, regulate what comes to your mind, and what you allow in your mind.
- You have a responsibility to control what comes into your mind.
- You should be the Gate-keeper of your mind. You can do that by controlling what you watch on TV or Net, what you read, what you listen to, and the people you associate with.
- The Scripture says, “Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 1 Corinthians 15:33(NKJV)
- You will not be a prey in the hands of the enemy in Jesus name.
“Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is fully-grown, brings forth death.”
- Are your thoughts, desires, in line with God’s word?
You will not fail in Jesus’ name. Peace!